The morning turned out to be unusually foggy this year but the kids did it! Moscow contributed over 1,500 walkers to the world total as kids and adults walked together for International Walk to School Day.
We feel it was a success on all fronts! We Encouraged, Educated, Evaluated and we encouraged police to Enforce. No accidents and lots of fun! 8 schools participated, with a total student participation of 1,218 students, 65 U of I volunteers and 276 parent/chaperones walking, biking and skating to school! That’s over 1,500 people walking and biking in one morning!!!
Here are the numbers from each participating school:
- McDonald – 84% of the school’s students participated (304 students walked, 89 parents/chaperons walked)
- Lena Whitmore – 68% (175 students, 42 parents/chaperons)
- Palouse Prairie – 55% (90 students, 45 parents/chaperons)
- St. Mary’s – 55% (their first event!, 82 students, 20 parents/chaperons)
- Moscow Charter School – 52% (75 students, 28 parents/chaperons)
- Moscow Middle School – 42% (250 students, 3 parents/chaperons)
- West Park – 84% (145 students ran around their school to get exercise after their bus ride, 25 parents/chaperons walked with kids that did walk from home)
- Russell – 67% (97 students walked or biked or ran around their school to get exercise after their bus ride, 24 parents/chaperons walked with students that walked)
Crunching the numbers all together:
- 1,218 students participated, 65 U of I athletes and students volunteered, 276 parent/chaperones walked with their kids. So over 1,500 people actively participated in iWalk this year!
- If we average that every participating student and adult walked an average of 1/2 a mile, that would be 747 miles cumulatively.
- And if they walked at a moderate pace, our 8 schools collectively burned over 16,356 calories!
That is over 40,338 gallons of CO2 saved!! That is not only better for the environment, we also created much less pollutants in the air around the schools (that kids breath).
Here are some fun pictures from the morning: