A great article with some visual statistics about walking in America:
Possible discussion points around what individuals can do (for around the dinner table and/or in the classroom!):
- Start a walking group with friends and neighbors.
- Help others walk more safely by driving the speed limit and yielding to people who walk.
- Use crosswalks and crossing signals when crossing streets and not jaywalk.
- Participate in local planning efforts that identify best sites for walking paths and sidewalks.
- Work with parents and schools to encourage children to walk to school where safe.
I especially like these points since that’s what Safe Routes to School is all about!
If you’re interested in becoming a SR2S volunteer, please contact Brooke Lowry.
– Posted by Brooke Lowry