In celebration of the National Bike Month in May, Fill the Racks! is coming up on May 4th!
All 3 annual events promote all active travel and busing to school.
For this event espcially, Safe Routes to School encourages all students and parents on bikes to wear a helmet!
Here are some ideas for your school to try this year….
- Post so your students can see your school goal (how many bikes in the racks on May 4th, established by the Principle) to Fill the Racks!
- “Biking school buses” (instead of walking school buses) are groups of students, accompanied by parents that bike to school together
- Parent volunteers on the morning of, doing simple bike and helmet checks. Contact your PTA/PTO leaders to find out how you can help
- Encourage all your school staff to bike to school on May 4th!
- Remind crossing guards and police enforcement of the event to help your morning be a safe one
- Stand at busy intersections and streets with signs, reminding traffic to BE AWARE of cyclists
- Set up a bike share (borrow bikes or bike trailers from other’s in the school who will not be using theirs)
- Give out punch cards (provided by SR2S, contact Brooke if interested) and challenge your students to complete the card by the end of May!
- Arrange ahead of time to have 2-4 parents present from 7:45-8:45am, the morning of the event
- Advertise Fill the Racks! on your school’s web page or Facebook
- Plan some fun events that day: helmet decorating, record highlights of the journey on a giant mural, organize bike trains etc.
- Print out the list of events happening in May in Moscow from the Bike for Life website http://bikeforlifemoscow.com
- Give safety literature to parents on the morning of the event (pamphlets will be provided by SR2S)
- Keep a running number of bikes in your school’s bike rack. When you hit the goal your school’s principle has set, celebrate!
- Encourage all kids and parents on bikes at your school to please wear a helmet!
- 2-4 U of I volunteers (from the Cycling Team and/or other classes) will be at each school to help hand out incentives and talk to the students about about their bikes
- Student flyers, posters and teacher post-cards have been printed so please use these to promote the event
- Newspapers have been notified to feature the morning’s events at the 9 schools
- Moscow Jr. High students and U of I Art students will be drawing a mural about active travel (in chalk) on the parking lot by the Jr. High tennis courts. Come check it out!
- Incentives will be provided for all walkers, bikers, skate-boars etc. and busers
Brooke Lowry (Moscow SR2S Coordinator)
blowry [at] uidaho [at] edu