Welcome to Moscow, Idaho’s Safe Routes to School website!
Events for the 2013-1214 School Year:
International Walk to School Day – Oct 9th 2013
The Polar Walk – Feb 5th 2014
Fill the Racks! — May 7th
Active Travel Art Exhibits — May
Officer Newbill Kid’s Safety Fair — 1st Saturday in June
About our SR2S program in Moscow:
Safe Routes to School is a national program that focuses encouraging kids to walk and bike to school safely across America. Safe Routes has 5 E’s : Education, Encouragement Education, Enforcement, Engineering and Enforcement. The Coordinator for Safe Routes to School here in Moscow focuses mostly on Encouragement and Education. The City of Moscow focuses on Enforcement and Engineering and we all try our best to Evaluate our work along the way. Here in Moscow, Idaho, we are fortunate to be partnered with The City of Moscow and University of Idaho. We work with the 7 schools list below.
Our 7 SR2S Schools:
- Lena Whitmore
- A.B McDonald Elementary
- Russell Elementary
- West Park Elementary
- Palouse Prairie School of Experiential Learning
- Moscow Charter School
- Moscow Middle School
*You can find all relevant information about your school by clicking on your school to the right of this screen.
Other things Safe Routes does in Moscow:
Besides coordinating the annual encouragement events each year, SR2S Moscow also does the following:
- Provide funding for new sidewalks around schools in need (Eg. D St. to McDonald School in 2009, D st. up hill to St. Mary’s school in 2013)
- Provide maps for all Moscow students K-8th grade to map their routes and find safe routes
- Work with Principals to make individual school priorities happen
- Help coordinate Walking School Buses at each participating school
- Provide Crossing Guards with supplies
- Encourage Crossing Guard training
- Get “it’s the law to stop for pedestrians” signs for each school
- Work with PTA leaders to organize additional incentive programs like “Punch cards” and “One less car campaigns” to encourage daily walking and biking
- Provide funds to buy helmets for students in need
- Work with schools on Drop off and Pick up procedures
- Work with schools and UI Service Learning students to coordinate resources and efforts to make parking lots safer
- Order and provide incentives for schools for each event
* See our “Blog” tab to see recent posts, information and pictures!