Welcome to Moscow, Idaho’s Safe Routes to School website!
Safe Routes to School is a national program that focuses on safe walking and biking to and from schools across America.
Here in Moscow, Idaho, we are fortunate to be partners with University of Idaho and the City of Moscow.
About Safe Routes in Moscow:
Safe Routes has 5 E’s : Education, Encouragement Education, Enforcement, Engineering and Enforcement. The Coordinator for Safe Routes to School here in Moscow focuses mostly on Encouragement and Education. The City of Moscow focuses on Enforcement and Engineering and we all try our best to Evaluate our work along the way!
We work with 7 Schools in Moscow!
- Lena Whitmore
- A.B McDonald Elementary
- Russell Elementary
- West Park Elementary
- Palouse Prairie School of Experiential Learning
- Moscow Charter School
- Moscow Middle School
*You can find all relevant information about your school by clicking on the school name to the right of the screen.
Events for the 2012-1213 School Year:
Oct 3 - International Walk to School Day
Feb 13 – Polar Walk
May 8 – Fill the Racks!
Other Annual Events:
- March /April – Active Travel Art Exhibit
- June – Officer Newbill Kid’s Safety Fair
Other things we do:
- Provide Crossing Guards with supplies
- Thank Crossing Guards for their work
- Encourage Crossing Guard training
- Get “it’s the law to stop for pedestrians” signs for each school
- Provide maps for all schools to map their routes and find safe routes
- Help coordinate Walking School Buses at each participating school
- Work with Principals to make individual school priorities happen
- Work with PTA leaders to organize additional incentive programs like “Punch cards” and “One less car campaigns” to encourage daily walking and biking
- Provide funds to buy helmets for those students in need
- Work with schools on Drop off and Pick up procedures
- Work with schools and UI service learning students to coordinate resources and efforts to make parking lots safer
- Order and provide incentives for schools for each event